Instagram

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

~Tutorial~ Chocolate Cupcakes!

Soooooo..... let's put it this way. First, I was going to make Gayle's Triple Chocolate cookies for Thanksgiving. (I know, very un-Thanksgiving-y) 

And then, since my sister was dying to help (I never let her help me bake since the disastrous time I made, ironically, chocolate cupcakes when I was about 5 or 6 and we ended up pelting each other with chocolate batter in anger) we decided to bake it today or Wednesday.

So I decided to make Caramel Corn on Thanksgiving. Only because my mom said that whatever I made, I should be more, and I quote, "Thanksgiving-ish!" in a Chinese accent and with (no offense) bad grammar, as you can see. :) Because, as I explained, apparently the Native Americans and Pilgrims ate popcorn. Why do I care!?!?! 

But then, my mom suggested I make the cookies with my friend, Erin, but she was busy until Sunday. So I was all like, "Okay. whatever."

But then my mom happens to really, really (and I mean REALLY) like popcorn. Which we had bought, from Trader Joe's, salty-sweet, for the caramel corn. 

So then I was like, fine. Have your popcorn. Maybe we'll eat caramel sauce with apple pie. (Which my mom forced me to buy. well, not me. but like she wouldn't let me make apple pie, or tart. i prefer tart. and i hate trader joes apple pie. not that you care.)

So now you're probably like, "OMG! get 2 the point! what does this have to do with chocolate cupcakes!"

Well, then I said I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY x 1 million needed to bake something. NOW.

So here I am, with 12 - 2(that i ate) chocolate cupcakes + 24 mini cupcakes. WHY AM I TALKING ABOUT MATH?!?! I HATE MATH!!! my mom likes bugging me about math during dinner and breakfast. sigh.

So, anywayz, here's how to make these cupcakes:

1) Melt 1 cup (2 sticks) butter with 4 oz (a little bit more than 1/2 cup if you're using chocolate chips. or shreds. or pearls. or callets, if you're lucky, because callebaut's chocolate is AWESOME. okay, enough with my babbling. about 30 secs. in microwave, stir, than 22 secs, stir. or stove top. or double boiler/bain marie. this is what it should look like when you're done (more or less):
image.jpeg
(sorry the pics r bad and not in the right direction. i took them with my ipod touch.)

2) Whisk together 4 eggs, 1cup white sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark). In a bowl by hand, or on a stand mixer with the whisk attach ment. in the recipe, there's no difference. (by hand is only a LITTLE bit more tiring) any speed from 2-6. i like the higher speed, only because its very fun to see something get whipped. at least in my crazy opinion.
image.jpeg


image.jpeg
whisking......

image.jpeg
more whisking...

image.jpeg
consistency (about) afterwards.

3) Then, add the melted chocolate/butter mixture, and whisk. Be sure that the mixture is warm/lukewarm/cooled. NOT HOT. preferably even COLD. because you do NOT want bits of scrambled egg in your cupcake, cuz THT would b GROSS.
(sorry i forgot to take a pic of this, and the next step.)

4)Whisk (in a separate bowl. duh.) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup natural un-sweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Do me 2 favors. please? 
1. do not use hershey's cocoa. if i tried to explain to you why, you'd just kill me. so just don't use it.
2. baking powder and baking soda IS DIFFERENT. trust the internet and sophia (that has a hobby of researching random baking things for 2+ hours on the internet) on this one.

5) Add about half of the dry mixture into the eggs mixture, and whisk until combined. warning: batter will be thick.
image.jpeg 
i know this photo isn't really clear.

Then, add half the buttermilk*.
image.jpeg

Then, add the rest of the dry ingredients. (this is really getting repetitive, isn't it?)
image.jpeg
ignore the fact that the dry ingredients are WAY lighter than they r supposed 2 b. i didn't mix them evenly. bad sophia. bad!

Then,  add the rest of the buttermilk.

image.jpeg

THEN, you can either be done, or you can be like me and go to whisking heaven for a while. But still don't overmix! Or undermix, for that matter.

Batter when it's done:
image.jpeg
be aware that the batter color is very inaccurate- it's WAY darker, as you can see in the next pic.

By this time, you can preheat the oven @ 350 degrees F. Don't you hate it when recipes tell you to preheat the oven at the beginning?! unless i just have a weird oven, and almost every other oven in the world takes the whole time you take to make the batter/dough to preheat?.... that would b kinda weird.

Scoop batter into cupcake tins. This recipe is supposed to make 24 cupcakes, sometimes when I make it it makes a little bit less. This time, I opted for 12 cupcakes + 24 minis, so in my case, 36 cupcakes. 

Also, I only had 3 regular regular cupcake liners, (that's awkward. mayb i shud change it to 3 white regular cupcake liners... whatevs.) so joy! holiday cupcake liners it is:
image.jpeg
LOL.

Split the batter evenly (for some reason today, I had perfectly poofy cupcakes) among the pans, and bake the regular ones for 18 mins, and the minis for 12 mins. Remember, this is for MY OVEN. ALL OVEN ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! always set the timer a little lower, than check, and adjust accordingly. 

Oh, and before you do that, dip a spoon into the batter and eat it. you'll thank me. and maybe want to marry the batter. okay, now that i think about it, that just sounds wrong. :)
image.jpeg
(mini cupcake un-baked)
image.jpeg
(large cupcakes)
image.jpeg
my favorite way of eating a cupcake is eating it hot & fresh!image.jpeg
Even better way: hot & fresh with whipped cream!!
image.jpeg that pic is ugly. ugh.

SEE NEXT POST FOR GIVEAWAY!!!!!

Note: this recipe was based on a recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction.

1 comment:

  1. One: sorry for the super-long post. Two, there will b a post for decorating them for thanksgiving soon. bye!

    ReplyDelete